Thursday, September 4, 2008

"Geek" Girls

I felt that I needed to explain my position against attaching the word "Geek" to every women focused group in IT. Now, a few years back when I was programming full time I wore that geek badge very proudly and I know lots of other women in IT do too - and that's cool - I understand that. But I can be technically great and not feel that I need to call myself a "Geek." I personally love fashion and art and whenever I tell anyone I work in IT they tend to do a double-take. When we talk to girls in schools I don't want to just appeal to the quiet, perhaps socially awkward girl who excels at Maths & Sciences. I want to appeal to the dreamer at the back whose life is about art and music. I want to appeal to the overachiever at the front that excels at both sport and school but feels that with her guaranteed OP 1 she should go into medicine or law. I want to appeal to the slightly rebellious girl who isn't sure what she wants to do, but knows it will need to change all the time to be exciting for her. I feel strongly that if you talk to a group of a young women and only present this "geek" personality you will alienate more than half the room. I get that "Geek Girls" etc. is fun and cute and tongue in cheek, but we just need to avoid creating a stereo-type that will ultimately defeat the purpose of many of those groups - to attract more girls into IT.

2 comments:

Damana Madden said...

I agree with everything you are saying but as long as geek girls keep fighting it, we make it seem bad too. We reinforce the uncoolness of the word "geek".

What I'd love is for the really cool geek girls like you to talk to young women and girls. This would show them that there are cool women in this industry and not just scary ones :)

Robyna May said...

I am just not sure that every high school kid is going to view the term "geek" as a positive thing, no matter how you try to make it cool - I just think we need offer alternatives to that word or particular "image". I am very proud of presenting myself as an IT professional as an exciting career (and definitely looking into talking to highschool gals). I love gadgets and I do get that "I am a Goddess" feeling when you finally resolve a difficult scripting, database or application issue, so I guess I am a "geek" in that sense. Maybe we can try to promote IT Goddesses (hmmmm... actually I think they tried that in a calendar!) :)